Little White Church

Please join us at this year's service, July 28th at 2:30 pm. Patricia Gilmore will lead the celebration. Marcel Lavallee will play the organ, accompanied by Genevieve Bourdon. Enjoy a visit in this historical site built in 1826.

Rejoignez-nous à notre service annuel, le 28 juillet à 14h30. Patricia Gilmore dirigera la célébration. Marcel Lavallée jouera de l'orgue, accompagné de Geneviève Bourdon. Profitez d'une visite à ce site historique construit en 1826.

The Russeltown Flatts Church began through the vision of Mary Forbes, whose husband John ran a small store across the road. Her encouragement, along with the hard work of local settlers resulted in the raising of the building's frame in 1826. The church was first used by the Methodists and Congregationalists.

By 1853, the settlers were forming a strong tie to the Presbyterian Congregationalists and Mrs. Forbes turned the church over to them in return for their commitment to build a steeple. Donald Black, a federal Member of Parliament (1935-53) and grandson of original settler Josiah Black, donated the electrical lighting and fixtures for the church in 1920. In 1925, with the union of the churches, Russeltown Flatts Church joined the United Church of Canada. By 1945, the scattering of the local population forced the merger of Knox, Wesley-Covey Hill and Russeltown churches.

The Russeltown Church and Cemetery has been maintained by trustees and is now a registered foundation. The Church welcomes visitors to its Anniversary Service, regularly held the last Sunday in July.